Being active as a family can have even more benefits than simply helping to improve your health. Your children will feel emotionally connected ~Dr. Raghav Thukral
Being active as a family can have even more benefits than simply helping to improve your health. Your children will feel emotionally connected, a stronger bond can be created between family members, and the teamwork that is present during exercise may transfer into the home as well.
Research shows that parents who are physically active increase the likelihood that their children will follow their lead. Need some ideas? Here is a list of suggestions for getting your family moving.
- Be the example Teach your kids to walk or take the stairs when possible by doing so yourself
- Show interest Encourage your children by participating in the activities they enjoy
- Try a new sport There are so many to choose from, mix it up a bit and try something new together
- Go for walks If that is a little too “slow-paced,” turn it into a scavenger hunt or try geocaching
- Train for a race Sign up for family fun runs, or 5Ks
- Join an exercise class together Kids often find that they love yoga, even while making fun of the poses
- Play physical games Basketball, frisbee, hide and seek, soccer, tag, and golf to name a few
- Make chores fun Turn this yucky time into a game to see who can get finished the fastest
When the whole family is involved, children learn that being physically active can be fun. It’s a great way to turn family time into exercise time without them feeling like it is work and, soon enough, they will be asking for more of it.